Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Candle Recycled


Well, hello, Lavender Patch readers!!!!
                Yes, yes, I realize I haven’t written anything in like months, but let it suffice to say, I've been ridiculously, hectically busy. However, for today’s gem of a craft, I think you’ll forgive me!! So what is today’s craft? (drum roll....)Well, if you’re like me then you saw the pictures, scrolled down to see the pictures, then came back up to see what the writing said. If you did that, then you’ve probably already figured out that today’s craft is a recycled candle, so to speak. Enough said, let’s get started!!! Here’s what you’ll need:

A pot
A jar that you can be okay with getting rid of then
Aluminum foil
Some pot holders
A rubber band
A yucky, old candle that is past it's prime
Some sort of pretty container (like a teacup) that you think will look pretty with a candle inside it
Tape

After you've gathered all these things together, you need to fill the pot with water, put the candle in the jar, put the jar in the pot, and then turn on burner under the pot. Something like this:


Then, you need to wait until the the candle melts. Obviously, with the fire going under the pot, the water should start to get very hot, which will the cause the wax to start melting. Note: make sure to use a pot holder or something to keep the jar balanced because at this point, at least for me, the jar was top heavy and if you aren't careful it can fall over into the water (and that will just be a big mess). Like this:

After waiting about fifteen minutes for the wax to melt, this is what it looked like:

After you're sure that the wax is completely melted, need to somehow get the wick out. I used toothpicks because I could just throw them away, and not clean them off. 
Then, you pour it into your teacup (or whatever you're using instead) and then you'll need to cut out a section of aluminum foil which you will then cover the teacup with, using the help of a rubber band. Then, you should poke a hole in the aluminum foil (I used a toothpick) and insert the wick through the hole into the wax. Keep holding the end of the wick, and grab some tape and tape the end of the wick to the aluminum foil so that it doesn't fall through while the wax is hardening. (Note: I cut the burnt part of the wick off so that it would be prettier). I know this is all rather confusing, but here's a picture to help: 

Then, you let it sit for at least a half hour, better for maybe forty minutes or so. Then, you can take the tape, rubber band, and aluminum foil (do it in that order or you might accidentally yank the wick out if it's still hardening). And here's the finished product:

Before:

and after:

I've done this craft multiple times and it's always turned out well. It takes about an hour at the most but it's sooo worth your time!! Also, they make a really cute and great gift!! Well, that's all I have for today!! Hope you liked the craft, I certainly did!!!
With love,
Bethany

8 comments:

  1. That is so cool, Bethany! I love candles! :)
    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I've never seen that done before...I will definitely have to try it. :)
    xoxo
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, definitely doing this. Thanks Bethany!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you guys liked it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And by the way, if you guys do it, put some pictures in the comments so's the rest of us can see how it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable and you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cool! I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message if you have any comments or questions here. It will be moderated, then posted so that all your kind thoughts may be read!